Adult Sunday School Classes
St. John’s has an extensive Sunday School program. Visitors and new members are welcome in all of our classes. A variety of adult Sunday School classes meet Sunday mornings at 9:45 a.m. We hope you find one to your liking, and feel free to visit them all. Use the campus map (PDF) to orient yourself to the classrooms, or ask for directions on Sunday mornings. Join us at 9:30 a.m. in the Family Life Center for coffee and snacks before Sunday School. We’ll see you there!
- Mature Adults study with the Cokesbury Quarterly Series in the Parlor (room 103) in the Administration Building
- Young professionals and married or single parents meet in room 206 of the Administration Building
- Professionals, couples and singles with eclectic teaching meet in room 205 of the Administration Building
- Adult group meets in room A in the Family Life Center. We enjoy the opportunity for open discussion on a wide variety of topics based on books, seasonal materials, videos, Bible studies or the Common Lectionary. Class members do what we can, each in our own unique way, to help St. John’s have a major influence on the community in Baton Rouge.
Love is Love
- Adult group meets in room 202 of the Administration Building, using The Wired Word as its curriculum. Recognized by Reconciling Ministries Network as a Reconciling Community, the class’ welcome statement is: The Love is Love Sunday school class is a reconciling community at St. John’s United Methodist Church representing and embracing all of God’s children as persons of sacred worth regardless of race, gender, ethnicity, national origin, culture, tradition, sexual orientation or gender identity. In the full expression of the radically transforming and all-inclusive love of God as revealed through Jesus Christ, all are welcome!
- Adults who meet in room C of the Family Life Center. Our preference is for Judeo-Christian video-based lessons and lectures followed by discussion. In the Wesleyan tradition, we are open and accepting of diverse Christian viewpoints. New members are heartily welcomed.
- Based on the “Wesleyan Quadrilateral” of Scripture, Tradition, Reason, and Experience, the class invites all adults, single or married to join them in Family Life Center, room D.
- We are an adult Bible study class. There are no age limits for this class. All you need is the desire to understand Scripture better. We have studied to whole Bible from Genesis to Revelation three times using the “Genesis to Revelation” Bible study series. We are now studying the New Testament with N. T. Wright’s Bible for Everyone series. There is homework each week to facilitate our discussions. The homework uses the “For Everyone Bible Study Guide.” The class is studying the letters of Paul in the order they were written. Although it is the ninth book in the New Testament, the first letter Paul wrote was to the churches in Galatia – the Epistle to the Galatians. Everyone is invited to join them during the Sunday School hour. The class is taught/moderated by Bill Perry and meets in room E of the Family Life Center.
- Adults of all ages learn and share together in an open and supportive atmosphere. Studies include both Biblical teachings and current topics of interest. In support of St. John’s vision, we are the sponsors of the Wildwood Elementary initiative and assist The Shepherd’s Market and Habitat for Humanity among other missions. Please join us in the church library (room 106 of the Education Building).
- Couples and singles 40+ take on various short‐term studies in room B of the Family Life Center.