At St. John’s UMC we are shaping people in the way of Jesus. Children are an important part of our church. Here are a few of the ways children are involved in our congregation.
In Sunday School children are exposed to God’s love and learn through stories, songs and crafts. We have FOUR classes for children and youth:
Toddlers-PreK (First Floor, next to nursery)
- Ms. Kris Renfroe and Ms. Susanna Seals are so excited to welcome our youngest disciples to Sunday School! They have a special place in their hearts for our toddlers and preschool children.
Kindergarten – 3rd Grade (Second Floor, Room 203)
- Ms. Marilyn Damberg and Ms. Sarah Prevot have been team teaching for many years and welcome our younger elementary students to their class! This year, their class is expanding to include 3rd grade students.
4th & 5th Grades (Second Floor, Room 207)
- Ms. Natalie Cooper and Ms. Beth LaCour welcome upper elementary students to their classroom for another great year of growing together with Jesus.
6th – 12th Grades (Second Floor, Room 201)
- Ms. Heather Durham is stepping into a new role as the Youth Sunday School leader. She will have Evan Gager, our Youth Intern, by her side as together they offer spiritual formation and support to our middle and high school students.
Our Sunday School Curriculum
- Our toddlers, preschoolers and elementary-ages students are using the Celebrate Wonder curriculum again this fall. Celebrate Wonder engages children’s natural sense of curiosity to help them understand God’s love. It creates a safe environment for kids to ask big questions – helping them explore the Bible in ways that feed their imagination and encourage creativity. Through carefully-selected Bible stories, songs, videos, and hands-on activities, Celebrate Wonder gives children the tools to explore their faith while incorporating it into their daily lives.
- Our Youth are using a small group materials from UMC Discipleship Ministries with Young People. Each week’s session is written by a seasoned United Methodist youth worker and contains an icebreaker, a discussion based on scripture, and an active element designed to engage the imaginations of our students.
Faith exploration through music for children and youth (first grade through 12th grade) happens every Sunday at 4:30 p.m. with Steve Rushing, our choir director. We start and end in the choir room. While we will be focusing on music for worship we will also be learning how to read and write music. It is going to be a fun-filled hour of learning about and making music through singing and playing instruments. I hope everyone can attend. If you can’t make it every week, don’t worry. There will always be some music for you to make.
Vacation Bible School
Typically St. John’s UMC welcomes children to Vacation Bible School each summer. We hope to resume that tradition in 2023.
Questions? Contact email@example.com.